Skip to content

How to Rent Your House into Section 8 Tenants

Section 8 is a government program that subsidizes rent for low-income families as well as individuals. Local housing authorities receive funds to administer Section 8 from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Personal landlords supply the bulk of rentals in the Section 8 application. Landlords that participate in the program receive rent by direct deposit at the beginning of every month. There’s a waiting list for Section 8 housing in many rental niches, so landlords have no problem finding renters.

List your home.

Show the home to Section 8 participants that phone from the home authority listing. Fill out and submit to the home authority the potential renter’s Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) form after you and the tenant agree to rent terms. The tenant should have her RTA with her if she comes to see the apartment. Remind the potential tenant to deliver it if you schedule the appointment.

Schedule an appointment to meet a home authority home inspector in the rental home. The contractor will give you a record of any repairs or enhancements you must make before the rental could be approved and the tenant can move in. Call to request a reinspection after you have completed all requested repairs and improvements.

Negotiate and finalize rent with a home authority agent after the home passes inspection. Review and sign up for landlord agreement supplied by the home authority. Finish the procedure by offering the housing authority using a W-9, a signed copy of the rental, a deed or HUD-1 to prove possession, and a government-issued identification card.

Give keys to the tenant and transfer utilities.

See related